1. What are your three words to live by? Why do these words guide your life?
Tenacity, compassion and family — I’m passionate about my job and giving back, but no matter what my children come first.
2. What does being an “architect of change” mean to you?
It means looking outside yourself and inspiring and empowering others. Don’t be afraid of change or failure. You have to take the good with the bad, learn from your missteps and move forward looking at the positives.
3. Who do you consider to be an Architect of Change in your life? Why?
My mother — she is incredibly supportive, giving and optimistic. I remember her often saying, “No matter what’s happened today, there is a new day right around the corner.”
4. What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in life?
I have learned that kindness doesn’t have terms — you need to treat everyone with respect.
5. What is one thing you are working on right now that you feel especially passionate about?
We are working on several great projects for The Tory Burch Foundation, including a new partnership with the Women’s Initiative for Self-Employment. Our goal is to invest in women at the very early stages of starting their own businesses, in turn helping them provide for themselves and their families.
Tory Burch is an American fashion designer, entrepreneur and mother. In 2009, Tory launched the Tory Burch Foundation to support the economic empowerment of women and families. Through grants and microfinancing for women entrepreneurs, the foundation invests in the success and sustainability of women-owned small businesses. Through mentoring opportunities, it provides women with tools to achieve their aspirations as entrepreneurs and leaders.