Maria’s Sunday Paper: A New Year’s Eve Message
Maria’s Sunday Paper: A New Year’s Eve Message
On this New Year’s Eve, we here at The Sunday Paper want to take a moment to say thank you for being in community with us this year.
Each week, Maria shares her “I’ve Been Thinking” essays, as well as news and views from others who are moving humanity forward, with the hope that these stories will inspire you to become an Architect of Change in your own life. During a year filled with so many demands and distractions, we hope our messages have helped you rise “above the noise.” Thank you for spending your Sunday mornings with us.
Today, we wanted to share with you our top-performing content from 2017. These are the news and views that resonated most with you over this past year. We hope revisiting these stories today will give you something to think about as you head into the new year tomorrow.
We look forward to sharing more stories like these with you in 2018. As always, please feel free to write to us and let us know what you’d like to see from The Sunday Paper in the new year.
Happy New Year,
Maria and The Sunday Paper team
Want to receive Maria’s perspective, as well as other inspirational content, in your inbox each week? Sign up to receive Maria’s Sunday Paper newsletter by clicking HERE.
P.S. For more of Maria’s “I’ve Been Thinking” essays, we hope you’ll check out her upcoming book, “I’ve Been Thinking…: Reflections, Prayers and Meditations for a Meaningful Life.” It’s available for pre-order now and was inspired by all of the positive feedback received from you, readers of The Sunday Paper.
TOP 5 MOST-READ VIEWS OF 2017
Each week in The Sunday Paper, we strive to share the voices and ideas of individuals who are Moving Humanity Forward in their own way. Here are among the five that you most enjoyed in 2017.
1. Tom Brokaw’s Tips for Maintaining Perspective in Today’s 24/7 News Cycle [READ MORE]
2. Tom Brady on Maintaining the Mind of a Champion [READ MORE]
3. A Love Letter To My Brain: a poem by Nadine Schiff [READ MORE]
4. A Q&A with Brandon Stanton, Creator of Humans of New York [READ MORE]
5. Tony Schwartz: More Reflection, Less Action: Why We Need to Create White Space in Our Lives [READ MORE]
TOP 5 MOST-READ NEWS ABOVE THE NOISE
Out of all of the news stories we shared with you in 2017, these are the ones that rose above the noise and resonated with you most.
1. Amelia Earhart’s Highly Unsentimental Prenuptial Letter to Fiance George Putnam [READ MORE]
2. Albert Einstein’s Long-Lost Note On Happiness Fetches $1.6 Million at Auction [READ MORE]
3. Pope Francis Ted Talk: “Why the Only Future Worth Building Includes Everyone” [WATCH]
4. Amazon Shares New Building with Homeless Shelter in Seattle [READ MORE]
5. New York Times “Modern Love”: You May Want to Marry My Husband [READ MORE]
TOP 5 ARCHITECTS OF CHANGE CONVERSATIONS
Maria sat down for so many thought-provoking and inspiring Architects of Change conversations this year. These were among your favorites.
1. Sharon Salzberg and Maria on Learning to Love and Be Kind to Yourself [WATCH HERE]
2. Msgr. Lloyd Torgerson and Maria on Coming Together and Being Thankful [WATCH HERE]
3. Rev. Ed Bacon and Maria on Coming Back to Love, Stillness and Compassion [WATCH HERE]
4. The Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement Presents the Women’s Health Summit: It Starts With the Brain [WATCH HERE]
5. The Art of Slow Living: A Conversation on How to Slow Down in Our Fast-Paced World [WATCH HERE]
A THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
SHOP OUR STORE: SEE OUR COLLECTION
Get Empowered. Pass It Forward.
We’re so excited to announce that we’ve added a few new items to our shop! Check out our stylish apparel to fight Alzheimer’s, created in partnership with Art With a Purpose. You can also order our newest product, the “Maria” candle – the same scent used in her office and home. Visit the shop on MariaShriver.com to learn more.
READ MORE ABOUT WHAT I'VE BEEN THINKING
"If light is in your heart, you will find your way home." — Rumi This week, I've been thinking about the fragility of life. I've been thinking about how hard it is for so many of us to keep at it day after day. This morning, as my family mourns its own loss, I sit...read more
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk our own path." — Buddhaint Teresa of Calcutta The other day, I had a conversation with a friend of mine that gave me goosebumps. She is someone who, by all accounts, is super successful....read more
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." — Saint Teresa of Calcutta I’ve been thinking a lot this week about the phrase “go back to where you came from.” Those were the words our president uttered last week, and after he...read more