Sunday Paper Dinner Table: BBQ Sweet Potato Tortizza
The Sunday Paper Dinner Table: We here at The Sunday Paper believe in the power of meaningful conversations around the table as a foundation in building a more caring, kinder and compassionate world. We want to inspire you and encourage you to gather virtually at your tables, open your hearts, and open your minds each and every week with the help of our Meaningful Conversation Starter and suggested recipe. Then report back to us and tell us about the experience. Cheers!
Meaningful Conversation Starter
What lesson would you put in your Handbook for Life?
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
This is an OG recipe of mine that I’ve been making for years at home and in my nonprofit summer camps with hundreds of campers. It’s a nontraditional pizza that’s sweet and smoky and can be loaded with any veggies you love!
2 medium to large sweet potatoes
Two 8-inch flour tortillas (can be gluten-free or regular flour)
1 cup Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce (page 000) 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms of your choice (I love using shiitake and maitake)
1 cup sliced yellow and orange bell peppers Any seasonal veggies you love! (see chart on page 000 for ideas)
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Lay the sweet potatoes on the prepared pan and roast them for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on their size, until soft. Remove the sweet potatoes (leave the oven on) and when cool enough to handle, peel and mash them.
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lay a tortilla on the sheet pan and spread the mashed sweet potato evenly over its surface. Top with the second tortilla.
4. Spread the BBQ sauce all over the top of the tortilla, making sure to coat the edges so they don’t curl when baking later. Lay the onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, and any other veggies you like on top. Bake for about 10 minutes to heat through.
5. Top with cilantro, slice, and enjoy this yummy remixed pizza!
From LIVING LIVELY by Haile Thomas Copyright © 2020 by Haile Thomas. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
This recipe was featured in the July 26th edition of The Sunday Paper. The Sunday Paper inspires hearts and minds to rise above the noise. To get The Sunday Paper delivered to your inbox each Sunday morning for free, click here to subscribe.