Mango and Prawn Salad
Tall and tan and young and lovely makes me think of this salad or how I imagine myself eating it on a lounge chair basking on a beach in Thailand (although I am neither tall, tan, or young!). A girl can dream, can’t she? Whether you’re sitting in a snow storm in Minnesota or enjoying a sunny day in Miami, this delicious and bright salad will transport you to a tropical beach in Thailand bursting with bright and sunny flavors from the mango and lime juice balanced with just enough heat from the chili sauce and yummy crunchiness from the veggies and peanuts.
SERVES 4 AS PART OF MULTI-COURSE MEAL OR FOR LUNCH
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons minced galangal or fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons palm or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- ½ teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce, preferably sambal oelek
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 16 cooked medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (165 g) sliced fresh mango
- ½ cup (52 g) chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup (46 g) chopped red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 4 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- Mixed baby greens for four salad plates
1 Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the Dressing ingredients. Gradually whisk in olive oil and sesame oil until well blended.
2 In a large bowl, combine shrimp, mango, cucumber, red pepper, fresh coriander leaves, and peanuts. Add the Dressing and toss to combine. Divide salad greens evenly among four plates. Place salad mixture on top of greens. Serve immediately.